Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's Not a Tumor, it's a BABY!!

Finally, at nearly 13 weeks I get my first real indication that there's a real live baby person living, growing and thriving inside me, instead of some freak tumor that interferes with my period, causes home pregnancy tests to come out positive, and causes the random pregnancy symptom at irregular intervals!

Look:


Yes, it is a close-up and no, he is not smoking. My tummy is a non-smoking area.

I will mention here that the only reason I got this confirmation is because I opted to take a test (which probably won't be covered by insurance since it was optional) to determine my risk for having a baby with Down syndrome or Trisomy 21. (I think). I'm naturally low risk because of my age and genes, but it was the only way I was going to see that there was a baby inside me so I went for it.

We didn't tell SB that I was pregnant since a) the kid can't keep a secret to save her life and b)I honestly truly half expected them to tell me something was wrong and there was no baby in there. So we brought her to the ultrasound appointment thinking they were just going to take pictures to see what's inside Mommy's tummy.

When the baby came up on the screen, the first thing I saw was the little heart beating and a huge relief swept over me. I called SB over and pointed it out and told her that's what was in mommy's tummy. She turned to look at me, I think she thought I was joking because she said doubtfully, "Mommy, you ate a baby??"

Ha ha.

Anyway, besides identifying about 42 planet-sized tumors on my one ovary, everything was completely normal and healthy. The baby's heartbeat on Thursday at the ultrasound was 151. When I went yesterday to my regular monthly appointment, it was in the 160's, which is still perfectly normal. My blood pressure is good (114/72) and my heart rate was a little high (98bpm)- to be expected since I had just finished teaching a step class about an hour prior in a very hot room- but still within normal ranges.

We were concerned about the BP and HR since I had had heart issues when I was pregnant with SB so it's good to know everything's still looking good. My weight had crept up 3 pounds in the past month, for a total of about 7 or 8 pounds in the first trimester. Not too bad, considering I gained somewhere around 65 pounds total last time!

1 comment:

  1. "mommy you ate a baby"....ROFLMAO!!!!!!
    Oh its moments like that, that get me excited to have a little one!

    ReplyDelete