Friday, January 23, 2009

Milk Duds

It's been so hard keeping this pregnancy a secret. In the back of my mind, I think everyone at work knows. I work in a fitness center and I teach a lot of classes, and even though I've only gained 5-6 pounds according to the scale, I feel a lot heavier and softer, and I feel like it's blatantly obvious to everyone who glances in my general direction. Not that I'm so self-absorbed that I feel everyone is always paying attention to me and how I look, and notices even the most slight changes.

I had one lady, who is a regular in my classes, and is actually a very sweet, intelligent lady, pull me aside after one class and ask me if I was pregnant. BUT--- this happened waaaaay before we even started trying. AWKWARD!! I had to swallow my pride and explain to her that it wasn't a baby in there, but a nasty combination of PMS bloating and constipation. Fun stuff!

But my point is that if they notice when I'm extra bloated one day, they should definitely be noticing that not only am I getting softer and bigger, but I also started putting only 1 riser on each side (which I never used to do, but am forced to now since I run out of breath very quickly and get tired fast).

There's a guy, Rob, who doesn't take classes at my gym, but he comes in a few times a week to work out. He's one of those guys who takes pride in the fact that he says whatever he thinks or feels, without any concern that he might offend or say something inappropriate.

Keep in mind that I work in a CORPORATE fitness center, so these people all work for the same large company.

Anyway, we were joking back and forth about how I was sitting at the desk with my feet up while the director of the fitness center was actually doing work, getting ready to teach a class. I didn't worry too much because it's a laid-back environment and my director knows that I pull my weight at work. It just so happened that I was chatting with a friend who had stopped by on a break from his desk, and had brought me some little boxes of Milk Duds. Which I was happily eating.

Rob then made the comment that I was sitting around so much that my rear end was starting to widen, and even resemble a Milk Dud. I just looked at him. He didn't really know how I was taking this, but he continued anyway, saying that my butt was getting wider and that I needed to get off of it and start moving.

Still just stared at him.

Then he said that what he was saying was bothering me, and that I'd be thinking about it for a long time, wondering whether he was serious about my butt getting bigger. And went on to talk about Mrs. Obama and whether she asked her husband if her butt looked big in her gown before going to the ball. He said that every woman wonders that.

At this point, I told him that I really didn't care about him saying that my butt was getting bigger - and I didn't! - but he insisted that I did.

Honestly I didn't care, because I know it is getting bigger. I don't think it's that noticeable to others, especially since I've been wearing baggier clothes (thank goodness it's winter!) lately. But weight gain with pregnancy is inevitable, especially for me.

I'm not one of those tiny little women who gets a cute little bump that later disappears. I gain it EVERYWHERE, up to my shoulders! I remember trying on cute summer maternity clothes last time but not being able to buy anything sleeveless because I looked like a freaking linebacker.

So as much as I hate it, I'm expecting the weight gain. Everywhere.

But there was no need for Rob to point this out. Granted, he was only looking to get a rise out of me, and he doesn't know I'm pregnant. But at the same time, who says that to any woman? It's just not nice. Even if he's not being serious.

I tried not to think about it too much, but I did feel better when my friend Eludius, who was the one who brought me the Milk Duds and witnessed the whole thing, emailed me later to ask if Rob was always that inappropriate. Thanks, E!

Besides, I can't have gained that much weight- I still fit into some of my regular jeans, and I'm almost 11 weeks along with my second! And on another bright note, my stomach is actually starting to feel a little tight and hard down in the lower part, which makes me feel more pregnant and less like this is some freak disease (since I still don't have any HSG levels, a heartbeat, u/s, anything).

And now I'm down to only 2 weeks until I get my first ultrasound, and can tell the world that I'm pregnant and not a fat lazy Milk Dud!

No comments:

Post a Comment